The Provincial Government led by the disappearing man – Doug Ford, announced last week that people over 70 could get their second shot of vaccine. But in order to do so had to jump through the usual hoops – go on the website and book an appointment at the local centre.
So waiting patiently at my computer on Monday morning at 8am; I logged on and filled out the boxes, and was on the wait page at 8:02.
Not so fast, there were 69,855 people ahead of me, howcum? Anyway there was a one hour wait.
At the end of the hour wait the webpage told me that the only available Centre was in Thorncliffe Park – Toronto, 95 kms away. The phone number listed on the webpage was not accepting calls so that option was out of the question. later that morning a friend rang to see if we had managed to book. When I related the experience she told me that she used a phone booking system and gave me the 1-800 number she used – see update below.
However this experience raises a few questions:
- How did 69,855 people log in before 8am?
- Why is the local centre unavailable?
- Why is the system not screening by postal codes so that local centres are available for locals?
- Why are ‘out of towners’ being allowed to book other centres to the detriment of locals who may not be able to travel?
The problem of locals not getting local appointments was identified as a problem in the first phase. This resulted in people from Peterborough being sent to Cobourg and Cobourgers being sent to Peterborough – a total cockup and fiasco. This should have been fixed this time!
At this moment if any Politician starts to brag about this rollout – tell them to shut up and own the fiasco.
Update: After spending 59 minutes on hold I was told the same thing as the website – go to Thorncliffe Park. Well that’s two hours of life that I won’t get back!